Monday, September 20, 2010

Comcast Conversation

With this kind of thinking, it's honestly amazing they are able to stay in business.



me: I need to lower my bill. AT&T is offering internet for $19.95; with you I'm paying $44.95 for the same thing.

Guy: Well, ma'am we're offering our digital triple play package which includes digital cable, internet service and home phone service for the low price of $104.95

Note: I'm currently paying $112.95 for internet and cable BEFORE taxes and fees.

me: OK. Well, how about this: you give me cable and internet for $104.95 and don't hook up the phone service because I don't need or want a home phone.

Guy: I'm sorry, but we cannot do that. You have to have the phone service hooked up.

me: Is there any fee to hook up the phone service?

Guy: No. I will send you out the home installation kit and you can do it yourself.

me: What if I get the kit in the mail and let it sit in the box because I don't want home phone service.

Guy: That's your choice. But you might want to hook it up just in case you ever want to make a phone call.

me: I don't own an actual phone and I don't want to spend the money buying one.

Guy: Okay, well you can do what you'd like, but I need to set up 911 verification with you before you hang up.

me: What's that?

Guy: Well, we hook your phone up to your address and information so that if you call 911, they automatically know where you live.

me: Well I'm not gonna hook up the phone, so I won't be calling 911 from it.

Guy: Well I need to do it, anyways. It's gonna take about 10 minutes. You'll be asked a series of verification questions and your answers will be recorded.

me: Sure.



Let's review the ways Comcast has wasted money:

1) instead of giving me the $104 price, they made Guy stay on the phone with me for an additional 20 minutes wasting his time.

2) they are paying shipping to send me out the home installation kit.

3) they are paying to give me a phone number that I will never use.

4) they are paying for the materials in the installation kit.

5) they paid to walk me through the 911 verification FOR A PHONE I WILL NEVER EVEN HOOK UP.

6) they have pissed me off once again. AS SOON as I can ditch them, I will be. They'll be losing my $104 a month.

1 comment:

ComcastCares1 said...

Sorry for the experience. I work with Comcast and I will be happy to check with my regional contacts to see what we can do with your request.

Feel free to contact me if you're interested in my help.

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com