Today was a very eventful day in baby-land.
On Wednesday, Dustin and I had our regularly scheduled OB appointment. Everything up to this point has been normal -- very, very normal. Nothing too exciting to report. Wednesday, that changed when they told me that I had high blood pressure. They wanted me to do a 24-hour urine test on Thursday and then go in for a non-stress test (which usually takes about 20 minutes) on Friday to check the baby.
I successfully peed into a container and then transferred that into a nice brown jug for 24-hours (I didn't even spill any of it). I dropped off my pee to the lab around Noon today and then had my blood drawn (apparently they do that with the urine test).
After this, I headed on up to the third floor of the hospital and checked in with OB triage to get the NST started. They hooked my big belly up to the monitors and then took my blood pressure... NOT GOOD.
My blood pressure was even higher today than it was on Wednesday (something like 160-150 over 92-107). They kept me on the fetal monitors for about an hour and the baby was doing awesome.
Everything was totally as it should be in there. The only problem was that my blood pressure was high, high, high and it was not lowering over time. The doctor decided to keep me in the hospital until my urine and blood tests came back.
1 hour later...
2 hours later...
3 hours later... Dustin came to the hospital to spend time with me. (He was in meetings all morning and we didn't think there would be so much excitement!!)
4 hours later... we watched two episodes of The Office on Dustin's computer.
5 hours later... I was reading a book and Dustin was grading papers.
5 hours and 5 minutes later... I thought I was going to die of hunger (Dustin, too!).
5.5 hours later the doctor came back in to tell me that everything looked good (no failing kidneys, no hematoma on my liver, no anemia, great hemoglobin levels). I apparently just have pregnancy induced hypertension. They were worried that if any of those other things were wrong, then I would be showing signs of pre-eclampsia.
They gave me some BP medication to start on today and then I have to go back to my doctors at least twice a week from here on out to have the non-stress tests done on the baby to make sure the BP isn't giving him/her troubles.
I'm also supposed to take it easy from here on out. I'm not on strict bed rest or anything, but I'm just not supposed to be doing anything strenuous or unnecessary. Just relax.
I was also informed that I would not be allowed to go to 40 weeks. They will definitely induce me at 39 weeks even if everything looks great. If something ends up not great, they will induce me sooner... that means I have no more than 13 days before the baby comes!! Our new due date is 7/16/09.
Both Dustin and I are so excited to finally meet this little baby.
Well, I'm off to bed. Dustin is giving me and my swollen feet a foot bath and foot massage before bed. Can't argue with that!
6 comments:
glad things are okay with the baby! whew! now, take it easy, y'hear? no more of that wild michigan partying!
Glad everything is okay~
13 days....are you ready? We can't wait!! Have D kiss your belly from us!! Love ya~
oh my gosh! That's our anniversary Les! How cool would that be?! I'm so glad the baby is well. Reading this post was like flash-back city to me. :) Thankfully, you left the hospital! I'm just so excited for this baby I can't stand it. Woohoo!
have you twittered the fray?
Wow! I'm so glad you and baby are ok! Keep me posted...call if you need anything...we're thinking about you guys :) xoxoxo
Yay! I've been wondering how you all are! So glad the babe and you are ok... Just rest up and enjoy the quiet!!! Getting induced is actually a nice thing. No amniotic fluid spraying in public, no guess-work, controlled setting, drugs readily available! I'm so excited to see little Susie/Stan Sleesman! :))))
Post a Comment