Friday, April 10, 2009

Saving $$

My friend Abby posted on her blog about ways to save money, and asked for others to post about ways they save money... here's a few from our list.


1) We use our credit card. I know what you're thinking, this is a little crazy and backwards. BUT we have a Chase Freedom card that has no fees, and gives excellent cash-back rewards. We buy everything we can on the Freedom card and then pay it off at the end of each month (this part is key). About 4 times a year we get a 200 points which we can turn in for a $250 check from Chase, so that's $1000 a year just for buying what we normally do.

2) Buy used. We just got a stroller, infant carrier and two carseat bases for $90. That would have been well over $300 new. I also got 6 infant outfits for $12 at a used clothing store for kids. Not even Wal-Mart is that cheap.

3) Pack your lunch. I recently got 20 Lean Cuisines on sale at Kroger for $.99 each. Can't beat a healthy lunch for a buck. 

4) Marry a guy that never spends money. Dustin is possibly the most frugal guy I've ever met. (Sometimes it drives me nuts.)

5) Haircuts and services at Aveda school. We have a big salon near MSU's campus that is actually a school. It takes longer, but they usually do a good job. Also, I got a facial there once, and since they're students they take longer, which is great for some services. Better yet, they don't accept tips. 

6) Pay bills online, save $$ on stamps.

That's about it! I'm off to the mall to go shopping... just kidding!! 

4 comments:

abby said...

wonderful! thanks Les. I married the man who doesn't spend anything either...unless it's super expensive, like building his own computer or something!

Dustin said...

I am pretty frugal, I guess... I only paid $50 for my wife.
(I really did, for those of you who don't know!)
UNFORTUNATELY, her dad didn't offer a money-back guarantee. When life gives you lemons...

Shellie said...

How about you pay us to take her back... specifically you pay me to take her back.

Paul said...

Dustin,
Sorry, the refund/return policy expired on April 5th.