Sunday, April 12, 2009

Anniversary Trip & Pics

So, as I mentioned before, Dustin and I went to Detroit for a short anniversary-weekend trip. We stayed at a Residence Inn about 20 minutes away from downtown. Thank goodness for this, because we didn't exactly think this trip through very well. It just so happened that the Final-Four tournament was being held the same day we went down. We were pretty worried it was going to get really hectic, but it actually turned out to be fun. 


On Saturday morning we got up and drove to Detroit for a little bit of shopping and sight-seeing. We went right into the city and stopped by the Griswold Historical Building. Being the nerds that we are, we visited the coffee shop inside and spent a couple hours doing homework (apparently school doesn't care if it's your first anniversary weekend or not). The inside was beautiful. Definitely the nicest place we've ever had coffee. 

This isn't a picture we took, but I stole it from some website. The coffee shop was in this lobby. 
303273778_dab3e53279

Here's a picture of the outside of the building.

DSCF4823

So after this we did a little shopping and had lunch at Pei-Wei. Then, Dustin drove me to Farmington (a suburb of Detroit) for my 1-hour pregnancy massage. It was a great anniversary gift --especially because these days I'm feeling a bit sore (mostly my back) and my feet have started swelling. (I got Dustin a coat and some pants for his gift.)

The highlight of our evening was when we went to the MGM grand for dinner and a bit of gambling. We had dinner at Bourbon Steakhouse and it was amazing. They serve three different types gourmet french fries as the "pre appetizer" with three different homemade dipping sauces. My favorite was the catsup, Dustin's favorite was truffle-something-or-other. During our dinner, the MSU Spartans were playing in the semi-final game. We couldn't see the TV at the bar from where we were sitting so we kept getting up from our table to run up to the front of the restaurant to watch the last couple minutes. I felt pretty bad for the server-guy (he wasn't the actual server, he was almost like his assistant or something) because every time we got up, he would rush over and bring us brand-new napkins. After like 4 times, I asked him to stop. As you now know, MSU won and when they did the WHOLE casino burst into shouting and applause. Everyone was going nuts. It was kind of fun to be there during that. 

After our yummy dinner, we went out on the casino floor for some hardcore gambling (insert sarcasm). Dustin and I mostly played the 2-cent slots. He gets so mad because my strategy seems to work better than his. We both had $20 and I stayed around $20 or above the whole time. In the end, I actually had $30. Dustin got all the way down to $8, but somehow managed to climb his way back out and he also ended with $30. He was so happy we were both up, that he made us cash out and leave (he's too practical to let us piss the money away). The $20 that we won ended up paying for our breakfast the next morning! 

Being that it was almost 11:00pm (and we are old and tired), we headed back to the hotel. Here's a picture of the bridge to Canada from the top of the MGM grand parking garage. 

DSCF4830

For desert, we had our year-old wedding cake with sparkling cider. 

DSCF4835

We were both really surprised how good the cake was! (I thought it was going to taste like chocolate cardboard.) Thankfully we had a kitchen in our room that was equipped with dishes, cups, silverware etc. because we didn't think to bring any of that stuff. There was even a bottle opener for the sparkling cider. 

The next morning we went to Brighton (about halfway home) and stopped by a coffee shop there to do more homework (we have lots). It was a great trip, overall. Short, but fun. I told Dustin that next year I want to go to Vegas for our anniversary because we've started a tradition. On our honeymoon we visited a casino in Petosky, for this one we went the MGM Grand, so next year we need to do it right in Vegas. Does anyone want to babysit for us next April?! :-)



4 comments:

nancy said...

sounds like a fun time, les.
as for babysitting next april - let me think here for a minute..... by next april, charlie and olivia will be 16 months old and running all over creation. your baby will be about 9 months old and crawling all over creation....
um, NO.
:)

Tasha said...

I will babysit gladly.
As long as you return the favor in October :)

Mark Sundermeier said...

Yay for Detroit! Shop anywhere fun? I work for a shopping mall company here

Brenda said...

I think the next time you are in town, we should go get some cupcakes just like the wedding cake. It was sooo good!