I'm concerned.
For those of you who don't know, Dustin and I watch quite a bit of political news each evening. We usually watch Countdown with Keith Olbermann, The Rachel Maddow Show, Hardball and even The Colbert Report and The Daily Show. I've watched these shows with regularity for over a year now (except Rachel's show, which is new) and I've had little to complain about. They're funny, they're informative, they have personality and they're well-written. They've kept me pretty darn content while I'm eating my dinner.
Until lately -- I was pushed over the edge. I cannot stomach one more spoonful of this crap.
I am wondering what in the heck happened to an unbiased media. I know media has never been perfect in this regard, but COME ON PEOPLE! I can't take it anymore! I should not know how the media personalities will be voting in the fall, but I do! Glen Beck and Joe Scarborough will be voting for McCain. Rachel Maddow, Keith Olbermann, Jon Stewart and Chris Matthews will be voting for Obama.
I was once a student of journalism and this is not what I was taught. I was taught that the reporters, the journalists, the news anchors -- all of them needed to keep their lips sealed when it came to their personal opinions. Unless you're writing an op-ed for the New York times, I don't want to know what you're thinking. If I want someone's personal political opinion I will go searching for it. I shouldn't be smacked in the face with that opinion when I turn on the news. I shouldn't have to think to myself, "I'm watching Fox News, so I know they are going to be kind to McCain... maybe I should flip to MSNBC or CNN to see what kind things they're saying about Obama." Moreover, why can't a democrat like Keith Olbermann have more republican guests? Let's at LEAST even things out here, people! Let's have Glenn Beck bring on a few more democrats.
How did it get this way? At what point did all of these evening political shows become soap boxes for new stations and parent companies to shout out their political opinions?
I miss Tim Russert. I miss being able to watch Meet the Press and get a clear question thrown across the table with no media bias attached. At this point, I honestly think The Colbert Report is the most in the middle... that's pathetic.
It's late. I'm all fired up now. I'm going to go eat a popsicle in bed.
4 comments:
Here, here! I am with you on this 100%. And I'd just like to add...I don't CARE what they think. Just give me the straight facts. It's up to ME to decide what I think.
Here, here! I am with you on this 100%. And I'd just like to add...I don't CARE what they think. Just give me the straight facts. It's up to ME to decide what I think.
Here, here! I am with you on this 100%. And I'd just like to add...I don't CARE what they think. Just give me the straight facts. It's up to ME to decide what I think.
What this I'm reading? You switched from Chipotle to Popsicles in bed? You've changed since you've moved up there. Who are you anymore?
Post a Comment