One year ago today Dustin proposed. :-)
One year ago I was finishing up working at Cord and packing my stuff so that I could move to Michigan. I can't believe that I've lived here for almost a year!
I'd like to take a minute to tell you a few likes and dislikes about Michigan...
1) The economy here is really, really awful. Thank-you auto industry.
2) There is a major lack of places to shop. I went to the mall today to get a few things from the GAP. They didn't have the sweater that I wanted, but the nearest GAP store was over an hour away. There are two malls in Lansing. The Meridian Mall is where I work, but the other mall is really small and has like 10 stores left in it. Columbus is a shopping Mecca compared to Lansing.
3) People drive like crazies up here. Speed limits, traffic laws and turn signals do not exist. It's seriously not uncommon for me to be passes on the highway going 85.
4) On a positive note, there is really very little traffic here. Actually, short of an accident, there is no traffic. This is much different than the construction-laden city of Columbus. I love not having to deal with construction and traffic.
5) I like the area where we live. We are close to MSU, but it kinda feels like we live in the country. We're surrounded by lots of farmland (university owned) and there's always horses grazing really close to our apartment.
6) The people in Michigan are kinda mean. I've had things thrown at me, been screamed at and overall people are generally not as helpful. I think this is only true about Michigan Natives, of course not all of them. Dustin says that all the people in his program are super-nice, but I pointed out to him that they are all coming from other states to attend MSU. Other non-Michiganders agree with me. There's just something in the air here.
7) Deer. There are too many deer here.
8) Cops are great here. They're so great because I've only seen a handful patrolling in the past year. Seriously... they're never around! I think this is how so many people get away with their reckless driving.
9) Dustin is here :-)
10) Michigan has some nice places to visit. We've been to Manistee, Traverse City, Petoskey and Bay Harbor and we're really enjoyed it. It's definitely a more scenic state than Ohio.
3 comments:
11. My sister, Michelle, lives four hours too far away =(, and i love her so much that it makes me sad to think about.
Wow, ur husband sure is a gr8 guy. The more I hear about the dude, the more he makes me smile.
Treat him well, Les!
P.S. Tell him Nitsud says "hi". We were roommates in college.
i agree Nitsud, Dustin is a pretty sweet guy. He takes good care of Leslie. =]
Post a Comment