This little sweet thing is already a week old.
One thing that absolutely amazes us about this boy is the sheer number and force of farts that come from his cute little butt. There have been several times where Dustin and I have accused the other one of passing gas because it sounds like it's coming from an adult. At one point, Henry was sitting on my leg and I think he actually blasted himself off my leg for a second with his gas -- it reminded me of a rocket launcher.
Speaking about things under the diaper: I'm not used to taking care of a pee-pee on a boy. I've babysat for more than my fair share of kids, but surprisingly never many boys. This is evident because I've gotten myself and Dustin peed on at least 3 times already.
We're all happy to be back home after our two-day stint in the hospital for his jaundice. By the end of his stay, he had 6 heel sticks and four pokes from where they tried to get an IV started. He was not a happy camper. It was hard to have him in his little hospital crib under the lights where we couldn't hold him (only for feeding). The last day that we were there (starting at about 2:30am), Henry had had enough. He would NOT stay still when we put him in his crib. He was very fussy and wouldn't sleep. Dustin and I pulled up the rocker next to the lights and held him, positioning the lights on him as much as possible. He was perfectly content when we started doing that. The doctors told us that he had physiological jaundice that was probably caused by my breastfeeding him, the bruising on his head from the scalp monitor during birth and the Pitocin that was given to me. He goes back to the doctor tomorrow morning for another check-up just to make sure that it's not coming back.
Henry is having a bit of trouble breastfeeding. He was originally fed formula via a cup at the suggestion of the lactation consultant because he was an "impatient" baby when it came to waiting for my milk to come in. He wasn't content to just nurse for no reward. It made it difficult for me because I had to pump so my milk would come in (since he wasn't helping me out). In the meantime, he got jaundice so I had to bottle feed him pumped milk so that I could make certain he was getting enough food/fluid so as not to get dehydrated. (With cup feeding him, he spit up a lot and so we lost a lot more milk.) Now that my milk is in, the poor kid is seriously confused. Cup? Boob? Bottle? We're working on it, but it's a very slow process. I think this is all very funny because as the lactation consultant said to Henry, "Your momma's got good equipment!" Of course, the gal with the huge boobs can't get her kid to breastfeed!
Little Henry also met one of his Great Grandmothers this week (Sunday). What a great experience!
5 comments:
OOOHH I can not wait to meet him!!! He is sooo darn cute :))
Hang in there with the breastfeeding. Even w/o them being confused it is NOT easy!!! Worth it, but NOT easy!!
Thought your getting pee'd on story was funny! I remember when we first had Cash, Johnny's cousin came over and changed him (poopy) she asked "ummm WHAT am I to do with THAT" TOOO funny, she had only babysat girls too!!!
Keep those pictures comin' we love to see him:))
looking forward to seeing the happy (tired, confused) family next week! :)
haha! Poor confused kid. Maybe he's a little overwhelmed because of equipment ;)
I'm glad to hear you're all doing well. Keep posting to update us :)
Call me when things calm down and you have time!! After my baby is born I'll arrange a trip up there!
I can't wait to meet him!
he's so cute!!! Congrats!!
Post a Comment