So, for those of you who don't know, my absolute favorite band is The Fray. I love them. love. them. This relationship that I have with The Fray all began one night a couple years ago as I was driving along Roberts Rd, heading over the railroad tracks about to turn left on Dublin road... that was the exact moment I heard them for the first time. WNCI was playing Cable Car. (For the record, I know it's pathetic that I remember this.) Anyways, I went straight home to download their first CD and I have been in love ever since.
Speaking of love, one of the ways I knew Dustin really must love me is because when we were first dating I told him about how much I wanted The Fray's first EP (really hard to find at the time). Since he was a poor college student at the time (I know, you're thinking..."isn't he still a poor college student?"), he couldn't afford the $50 that it was going for on eBay. Instead, he scoured the internet in order to find me one of the tracks off the album. He downloaded it for me and burned it to a CD (along with other stuff) that he gave me on our 5th date for my birthday.
So, yeah. I love this band. I've been to two of their concerts with my sister. Both concerts were amazing. She loves them too. I don't think she loves them quite as much as I do (the depth of my love is very deep, people), but she's still a big fan.
So their new CD came out and I fell in love all over again. It's wonderful. I bought the deluxe version that came with a DVD of how they made the CD. I've watched it 4 times, I think. It also came with four cool little postcard things and a downloadable live CD. Definitely worth the money. My favorite tracks are Happiness and Enough for Now.
I have a not-so-secret crush on Issac Slade. He's the one on the left. Michelle has a crush on the one second from the right (Joe King).
They are going on tour this summer and I do not care how fat, uncomfortable and pregnant I might be, I am going to their concert. If their concert in Detroit or Columbus happens to fall on July 23rd, I might just go into labor at the concert. If I have to travel a bit to go to the concert, I will go. I'm sure my doctor will understand completely. I will go to the concert and come right back. They haven't released the dates yet, but I'm hoping for August so that I can be post-baby.
Oh yes, since I'm sure Dustin will comment about this post, I should mention that he hates The Fray. He thinks the lead singer's voice is whiny. To that I say, "then you sing it better, DUSTIN!!"
So I'll leave you with a little interview I found about the band and their faith. Interesting stuff.
Beyond the angst
Critics have credited the band's success in part to their catchy hooks and melodies, but the power of Slade's lyrics also has been key to catapulting The Fray into the national limelight. HTSL is filled with songs that tell stories of depth and emotion that go beyond the ever-present angst—and Christian—bands.
The band members' lives were largely formed in Denver churches where they helped lead worship, and in the Christian school three of them attended. Slade, 24, and guitarist Joe King, 25, were several years ahead of drummer Ben Wysocki, 21, at Faith Christian Academy. Wysocki and guitarist David Welsh, 21, played in the same worship band.
The band avoided Christian record labels, saying God called them to the secular market instead. "I feel he would be disappointed with us if we limited ourselves," Wysocki says.
Slade says he used to "write all Christian lyrics" until he had an epiphany while working a shift at Starbucks: "None of my friends outside the church understood any of my songs; we had a different set of vocabulary," he says. "So I went home and threw away all those songs."
He adds, "If I handed somebody a double grande mocha latte and told them, 'Jesus loves you and has a wonderful plan for your life,' they might throw it back on me.
"If we grow up in the church, it's easy to think it's our Christian duty to preach to every single person because God is the most important thing. And he is, but I'm a musician first. This is my job. We're not pastors. We're not preachers. We're not even missionaries."
Slade likens his job to any other. "If you're a painter, paint, but you don't have to have Jesus in every picture. Paint well, and if you paint well enough, they might ask you why you do that."
4 comments:
You forgot to tell everyone that you and Michelle are in one of their video's.
i love the fray.
Over-rated.
I had wings.....
- If you got yourself into the mess... fix it yourself don't expect the rest of the pubic to pay for you so you can have a little cash on the side... don't expect that.. ever. Thats a rather selfish act. You obviously didn't have a problem getting yourself into this situation, i feel no pity at all. Two is better than one.... It seems as though you have 24 hour help... get a job. And no Leslie this isn't to you.
... with the bone.
Post a Comment