Thursday, July 28, 2011

Being Prepared

Okay.

I've been avoiding writing this blog post because I've tried super hard to just ignore everyone's comments.

But I'm done ignoring.

Here's the deal: if you choose to find out the sex of your baby, it is NOT because you want to be prepared. It is because you want to buy gender-specific things ahead of time or because you simply just want to know.

I am SO SICK of people saying the following:

Them: "Are you having a boy or a girl?"
Me: "We aren't finding out."
Them: "Oh, I could never do that, I wanted to be prepared."

OR

Them: "Do you know what you're having?"
Me: "We aren't finding out."
Me (what I'm thinking in my head): "a baby"
Them: "Really? Don't you want to be prepared?"

I was just as prepared for Henry as you were for your child and to suggest that I'm not prepared (or will not be prepared again) is kinda rude. I had a crib, a dresser, art on the walls, toys, a Boppy, a pack-n-play, a Bumbo, diapers, wipes, blankets, clothes, bottles, pacifiers, a car seat, stroller, outlet covers, etc. The only difference is that most of my purchases were not either pink or blue. I had a lot of white onesies and green/yellow sleepers. Our stroller is green, grey and black.

AND

Believe it or not, Henry still survived despite us not knowing his sex ahead of time.

Babies are babies. They need to eat, poop, pee, sleep and be loved on. It totally doesn't matter if that baby is a boy or girl.

4 comments:

Brenda said...

I love the fact that you are NOT finding out the sex of the baby. Back when.. finding out was not an option, and yet the baby still came , and we all survived. There are few surprises in life, and this is God's greatest

Christy said...

It's a choice of words, it isn't a dig at you or your parenting skills.

Mandy said...

A-freakin-men!

When I've said we'll be prepared either way, people then countered with "Well, I need to mentally prepare myself to have a boy or girl." or "It's a surprise either way, at 20 weeks or in the delivery room." On the first account I can kind of see their point, I just don't feel that way. And I beg to differ that the surprises are the same caliber.

Anywho...

Tina Fey had some funny lines about this when people asked her. When asked if she would find out, she started saying "Yeah, I figure we'll just wait to see what they decide to wear to prom." I am going to use that one next time.

Michelle said...

possible responses to the question "what are you having?"

1. I can't decide between the soup and salad or the cheeseburger.
2. i'm not sure, the doctors are stumped as well.
3. a baby dinosaur
4. it's a secret
5. i was told when humans breed it is called a "baby"