
These are little popsicles made with felt and the chubby popsicle sticks.
The idea is that you sew around the top and sides of the colored felt and leave the end open. You then paint the sticks with matching colors. You can then take all the sticks out of the felt and mix them up so that kids can learn to match the correct colors together and at the same time learn the color names (with help, of course).

Here's what it looks like if you take it apart.

I went crazy and did as many colors as there was felt (although Michael's was out of a lot of colors, so I'm sure I could go back and get more).
Here's some tips:
1. Use clear thread to sew them... this was you aren't constantly changing thread colors so they match. Some people might not care if the thread doesn't match, but I did.
2. Make a little cardboard pattern for the actual popsicle shape. It made it easy to cut around the felt.
3. Fold the felt over when you cut so you can cut both pieces out at once.
4. Use clear gloss spray (I used the little baby can of Krylon) to spray over the sticks after you paint them with the colors. This will make the paint not chip off over time.
5. Obviously, these are not safe for kids to suck/chew on.
This whole project cost me about $15. I had to buy clear thread (the most expensive thing), the clear gloss, three bottles of paint (on sale at M's for .77 cents each), a bag of popsicle sticks and all of the felt. The thing is, I have enough leftovers to make about 5 more sets. I'm sure I'll be doing this as gifts for kiddos in the coming year.
3 comments:
Love them! So crafty! I love it when you aren't busy with homework.
SO CUTE! I keep saying Ella is done and that I'm not doing anything else, but...
These are great, Leslie!
Post a Comment