I'm sitting here making out Henry's Christmas list and I'm reminded, once again, that I absolutely hate "boy toys" and "girl toys".
First of all, why in the heck would you buy your child a pink school bus when there's a yellow school bus available? Unless your school bus driver was a very successful Mary Kay consultant, I seriously doubt anyone has ever seen or driven in a pink school bus. School buses are yellow. Even if your child happens to be a girl, school buses are still yellow.

The same goes for airplanes, dump trucks, and of all things... fire trucks. Those are red, not pink. Close, though!
The second problem I have is that little boys grow up to be daddies one day. Daddies are grown-up boys that push their own little babies in strollers. Play strollers are not just for little girls. Play strollers do not have to be pink. Henry is going to have siblings some day and I would like for him to be familiar with what babies are and what kinds of things we do when we have a baby.

Even if I had a girl instead of a boy, I would not have purchased a pink-covered stroller. I'm all about re-using what I can and blue and pink things just don't cut it for me.
The same goes for play highchairs, doll beds, dolls and just about anything else related to babies. Take a look down the doll aisle... it looks like pink threw-up.
I know this is probably going to come as a shock to some of you, but men do go to the grocery store. The last time I was at the grocery store, I didn't see a single pink shopping cart. This is the one on Henry's Christmas list this year...

This is from Pottery Barn Kids and I think it's adorable. Best part, it looks like an actual shopping cart! I think it's worth the $45 for sure.
I'm not saying that I can't find a single non-pink item, I'm just saying that there are VERY few to choose from, and often times they're the really cheap version. It seems that toy manufacturers have decided that if you're a girl you must only want to play with toys if they're pink, or purple, or covered in flowers and glitter. Better yet, if you're a boy, you should not be interested in playing with things that (gasp!) might be considered a girl toy.
It just seems to me that if firetrucks are red, why would I buy a pink version just because I have a girl? I know they're kids and all, but why do them a disservice by teaching them the wrong colors for things right off the bat?
Okay, I'm done complaining now.
3 comments:
Can I get an Amen! Not to mention the fact that even though I have a girl-some day in a crazy plet to have a bigger family, I may have a boy. I am anti anything princess because I don't want my daughter thinking she HAS to be one every halloween. And bedding? When your daughter's room is themed with sunflowers try finding a bed spread that isn't pink or purple. I couldn't agree more with your post.
AMEN AMEN AMEN!!! I have one of each so I want to have toys that are gender nuetral. That shouldn't be hard! They're toys! They are supposed to be the things children use to learn. Why do they have to be pink?! I'm as lost as you are Les, and honestly, I wonder who in the world is buying all of this pink stuff? Boycott? :)
:) I would like to "like" this post. Even though I have a girl...we don't like all pink toys. A few is ok..but not all of them.
Post a Comment